Friday 17 May 2019

Back to the engine...

So some years ago, I stripped and rebuilt the 1600 crossflow engine, putting in new main bearings, big ends, cam journals and piston rings. I also made some modest upgrades by way of a new head (with larger valves and hardened valve seats so the engine will run on unleaded) a Kent BCF2 fast road cam and a duplex timing chain.
No matter how I tried, I just couldn't get the timing set properly and something definitely felt WRONG.


Having sat in the corner of the garage for several years, the time has come to pull it all apart and start again......as soon at the head was off, it was immediately obvious that I'd put the pistons back in 180 degrees out - so the valve cut-outs in the piston crowns weren't lining up with the valves....STUPID BOY!!! Good job I never tried to actually turn it over...the damage would have been catastrophic!






Out with the pistons and back in the right way round!



Before...




















Meanwhile, I turned my attention to the carburettor. It's a Weber 32/36 DGAV and was horribly dirty. I found an excellent company near to where I work https://www.weber-carbs.co.uk/ who kindly ultrasonically cleaned and lightly media blasted my filthy carb ready for reassembly.

Reassembly following cleaning and blasting...



NICE!!












TADAAA!

Just waiting for the new jets and emulsion tubes to arrive to correctly jet it for my engine (I may also order a manual choke conversion kit).

No comments:

Post a Comment